As a follow up to our article on if Silly Bandz have been recalled (they haven’t by the way, check out http://www.cpsc.gov/ for a full list of current toy recalls), we’ve been seeing a lot of people arriving on our site from search engines when they search for things like “silly bands cancer” and the like.
First off, let’s state right off the bat. I don’t care what your friends says that their friends said who has an uncle that’s a doctor. Real brand name Silly Bands do not cause cancer any more than anything made from almost pure silicon causes cancer. Silly Bands are made from silicon, just like many cooking implements, medical devices, and also those Live Strong type cancer awareness bracelets people have been wearing for years. There have actually been long term studies on the effects of silicon breast implants and they were found to not cause breast cancer, despite many rumors and ideas to the contrary.
Somewhere between the cancer awareness bracelets, the fact that some Silly Bands glow in the dark, and some made up playground stories the rumor that Silly Bands somehow cause cancer was born. Tell that to the millions of people who wear the much larger silicon bracelets around each and every day to promote cancer awareness. They’d probably like to know.
Now here is what we know:
- Wearing too many Silly Bandz for too long can cause skin irritation. Sweat, heat and rubbing of any kind will certainly cause skin irritation over time.
- Wearing too many Silly Bandz could cause an impairment of blood flow and create blood clots. Do not wear them to bed and remove them if your hand starts feeling funny.
- Silly Bandz are a choking hazard for children under 3.
- Silly Bandz have not been recalled.
- Silly Bandz are incredibly popular and may cause jealousy to prompt made up stories.